Wednesday, May 09, 2007

grammatical boobs

If I’m reading the Radio Times from cover to cover, I must have a fair bit of free time on my hands!



This is one of the entries in this month’s Letters section:

<

Grammatical Boob
Not that I look out for these shows, but I noticed two BBC documentaries about breasts and their relative sizes: My Big Breasts and Me (9 May BBC3) and My Small Breasts and I (2 May BBC1).
Grammatically, this must be saying that those with small breasts are more frequently the subject of a sentence (eg “My small breasts and I want to meet people”), while those with big breasts are the object (eg “People want to meet my big breasts and me”). Not my words – the BBC’s. If you read between the lines. A lot.
Paul Kerensa
Guildford, Surrey


I wonder how much conscious consideration went into the naming of these programmes, because it’s a really interesting observation, both by the reader who noticed the inconsistency, and by the programme’s creators, if it really was a conscious differentiation. Is there such a social divide between the bodies of women with small breasts and those with big breasts?

I was going to comment that, my small breasts and I (!!), are definitely inseparable on any level – I believe them to have been rarely objectified – and I am totally comfortable with them – they are very much a part of me and, on some scale, a part of who I am. There is no ‘my small breasts and me’, as far as I’m concerned. Is it entirely a size issue? Are they ‘my small breasts and I’ because they are physically closer to my body, or symbolically in-tune with my character?? I’d need to hear whether there are women with large breasts out there who feel the same as me… and what about men? If this is a case of physical obtrusions from the body, can men ever be ‘my small/big penis and I’, or are they anatomically destined to be ‘my small/big penis and me’??

(Sorry for the misleading Radio Times cover picture - I just liked it and wanted an excuse to use it!)

Technorati Tags:
, , , , , , ,

No comments: